Friday, January 8, 2010

Should my photoshop document be cmyk or rgb?

My artwork is being designed from photoshop at 300 dpi. I will eventually place it in an illustrator document that is CMYK. Should I design my artwork in photoshop in CMYK? I usually design in RGB and convert it to CMYK TIFF before bringing into illustrator.Should my photoshop document be cmyk or rgb?
If your work is EVER intended to go out to a commercial print service bureau, then convert it to CMYK before you bring it into illustrator.





If this isn't done, the graphic will not print. Most printers will assign a technician to ';preflight'; the Illustrator file, to make sure the conversion is done, and to set the traps, chokes, bleeds and other steps needed to make sure the digtal file will run properly. The printer has to pay the tech to do this, so, will charge you accordingly. The more you prepare the file before sending it, the less the print job will cost.





This is one of the main reason I went almost 100% digital some years back. The more of these steps I can do, myself, the less I have to pay someone else to do them. PLUS, I still get to charge my clients for the time I spend doing this.





';Hans W'; has a very good point, however. If these files are only intended for viewing on a monitor, such as for eventuall uploading to the web, then it makes absolutely NO difference whether you work in RGB or CMYK mode. ALL monitors display in RGB.Should my photoshop document be cmyk or rgb?
There is no outward difference between RGB or CMYK in Photoshop. The only differences are behind the scenes and handled automatically by the program. Working in RGB and then saving in CMYK would be no different than working in CMYK the entire time.





You might also consider working in LAB mode. The colors in the LAB workspace are richer and offer a wider dynamic range.
Convert your artwork to cmyk in Photoshop before bringing it into Illustrator.





http://www.graphicdesigns4you.com

No comments:

Post a Comment