Monday, December 28, 2009

Is it advisable to layout a magazine in photoshop?

I have a rush project where I need to do layouts for a magazine that have alot of text and images. Is it advisable to use photoshop to do these and will there be any drawback when it comes out in print? If so, what can I expect?





I really a not very seasoned with using Indesign or other programs and because I am in such a rush, I don't have the time to learn them. That is why I am trying to do it in Photoshop.





Your input/help is very much appreciated. =)Is it advisable to layout a magazine in photoshop?
if for professional, would advise using other like indesign,


http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/





if you have access to illustrator may be better, as well page maker, even a combination of all tools, check with printers of products for what they can work with, and types of files needed,


..


if you have quark, or corel draw and others as well,


..Is it advisable to layout a magazine in photoshop?
I would create a Word document, or a PowerPoint presentation. You can also use Word or FrontPage to create HTML pages.


If you try with Photoshop, which I did, you will soon notice that whatever the definition, it will not be enough and if you use a normal font size (10 or 12) you'll never be able to read the text clearly.


Believe me, I edited my own poems with Photoshop backgrounds and the result is unpublishable.
It should work out fine. A magazine layout would be similar to many other layouts. Photoshop will be great for resizing and placing text and pictures. Just do each page on a new 8.5x11 page. When you print, hit print to fit page so your margins don't cut anything off. There are also a lot of fonts to use for your magazine. But if any problems occur, Indesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop all have similar qualities. If you know photoshop, you shouldn't have any problems with the others.
Although magazine print is of higher quality, but, there is no guarantee the text will not pixilate from Photoshop. If you keep everything at 300dpi you should be good shape and keep your anti-aliasing on sharp.


After building a couple magazines in the past I suggest you learn Quark, InDesign, and Illustrator, it will help you in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment